Monday, October 10, 2011

What Does a Course Developer Do?

People have often asked me what it's like to develop and write insurance courses.  Specifically, what do I do and how do I do it.  Of course, their eyebrows are raised when they ask the question, skeptical of my answer even before they hear it.

Not only do they believe insurance is a dry and boring subject, they believe insurance professionals--especially those who research and write the dry, boring, insurance subject matter--are the most mundane of characters.  I'm sure they regret asking their question immediately after the words cross their lips.

In an effort to avoid being dry and boring, and to make a long story short, I'll eliminate words and share three pictures.  This is a prefect example of my day writing dry, boring insurance content.  We all know a picture is worth 1,000 words--so here's my story:

Chapter One:

Mr. Murphy, my writing assistant, hard at work.


Chapter Two:

Mr. Murphy's response to my less than enthusastic opinion of his suggestion for scintillating insurance content. Personally, I find the topic of mice far less gripping than insurance regulations in the state of Delaware...

 Chapter 3
Mr. Murphy, pouting, after his content ideas were nixed.